Where should I dispose of household chemicals, mercury thermometers, batteries, etc?

Contact the Yolo County Landfill Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) Collection to arrange drop off or a senior/ disabled pick up

Drop-off: Free residential HHW drop-off at the Yolo County Landfill HHW Facility:
 44090 County Rd 28H, Woodland, CA 95776
 Every Friday & Saturday, 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Senior & Disabled Pickup: Free curbside HHW pickup for seniors (65+) and disabled Yolo County residents. Call Yolo County Landfill at (530) 666-8856 to schedule a pickup.

Chemicals, like other types of waste, can be harmful to human health or to the environment, either immediately or over an extended period. Chemical waste, like other hazardous waste, needs to be treated, disposed of, or recycled, safely.

Examples of Chemical Waste include, but are not limited to:

  • Unused and surplus reagent grade chemicals.
  • Intermediates and by-products generated from research & educational experiments.
  • Batteries.
  • Anything contaminated by chemicals.
  • Used oil of all types.
  • Spent solvents – including water based.
  • Mercury containing items such as thermometers.
    • To transport broken thermometers suspected of containing mercury:
      • place in a plastic container with a tight fitting lid
      • label the container “Mercury- DO NOT OPEN”
      • when transporting- place the container in the vehicle’s trunk and ensure its secure to avoid spilling.

Show All Answers

1. How do I dispose of expired or empty fire extinguishers?
2. Where can I dispose an old American Flag?
3. Where can I find the regulations to build/expand a roadway on my property in the Winters Fire Protection District?
4. Can the Fire Department come to my house to change battery smoke detectors?
5. Where should I dispose of household chemicals, mercury thermometers, batteries, etc?
6. Where do I dispose of Road Flares/ Flares/ Toxic Substances (Asbestos)?