Question: How do I dispose of expired or empty fire extinguishers?

Answer: Please contact the Yolo County Landfill and ask to speak with someone assigned to the Household Hazardous Waste Collection for specific information. You can also contact a Fire Protection Equipment supply company of your choice.

Question: Where do I dispose of Road Flares/ Flares/ Toxic Substances (Asbestos)?

Answer: For information on disposal, please call the Department of Toxic Substances at 800-728-6942. For additional information regarding asbestos, please visit the following link: https://www.asbestos.com/asbestos/natural-disasters/.

Question: Where should I dispose of household chemicals, mercury thermometers, batteries, etc?

Answer: Chemicals, like other types of waste, can be harmful to human health or to the environment, either immediately or over an extended period. Chemical waste, like other hazardous waste, needs to be treated, disposed of, or recycled, safely.

  • Examples of Chemical Waste include, but are not limited to:
  • Unused and surplus reagent grade chemicals.
  • Intermediates and by-products generated from research & educational experiments.
  • Batteries.
  • Anything contaminated by chemicals.
  • Used oil of all types.
  • Spent solvents – including water-based.
  • Items containing mercury, such as thermometers.
    • To transport broken thermometers suspected of containing mercury:
      • Place in a plastic container with a tight-fitting lid
      • Label the container “Mercury - DO NOT OPEN”
      • When transporting- place the container in the vehicle’s trunk and ensure it is secure to avoid spilling

Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)

HHW Drop-off: Free residential HHW drop-off at the Yolo County Landfill HHW Facility, 44090 County Rd 28H, Woodland, CA 95776. Open Fridays and Saturdays, 7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.

Senior & Disabled Pickup: Free curbside HHW pickup for seniors (65+) and disabled Yolo County residents. Call Yolo County Landfill at (530) 666-8856 to schedule a pickup.

Question: I’d like to build/expand a roadway on my property outside the City limits, and my address is in the Winters Fire Protection District jurisdiction, what are the regulations?

Answer: General regulations for both road building, gates, and access signs can be found under the California Fire Code, Fire Apparatus Access Roads at the following link: https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/CAFC2022P1/appendix-d-fire-apparatus-access-roads

Question: Can the Winters Fire Department come to my house to change battery smoke detectors?

Answer: The Fire Department does not offer a program to change smoke detector batteries.

Questions: Can I bring my old American flag to the Fire Department to be disposed of?

Answer: Yes, the Winters Fire Department accepts flags for disposal Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (excluding weekends and holidays).